Being sober is a reason in itself to celebrate. Reaching certain milestones in your recovery journey also deserves recognition and celebration. Whether you have been sober for one day, thirty days, six months, or a year, it is a reason to celebrate and be proud of how far you have come. Any amount of time you have remained sober is a good reason to feel proud.
In addition to milestones that recognize a specific amount of sober time, you can also celebrate milestones such as completing a treatment program, making it through your first holiday sober, or attending a function without needing a drink. In early recovery especially, celebrating every milestone will help keep you motivated. You get to decide how you define “milestone.”
In addition, you may want to make it a yearly tradition to celebrate the day you became sober. Some call this their sober birthday. Groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous recognize the importance of milestones and hand out chips to commemorate a specific amount of time you have stayed sober.
Ways to Treat Yourself
Treating yourself is one way to reward yourself for your accomplishments. Is there something special you have been wanting but did not feel like you deserved it? Now is the perfect time to reward yourself for a sober milestone in your recovery journey. You can add some money to your “splurge” fund to save up for a big treat in the future, or you can stay within your current budget and treat yourself in a small but meaningful way.
Some other ways to treat yourself include:
- Go a movie by yourself or with a friend
- Get a massage or a manicure or a good shave–whatever makes you feel pampered
- Try a new yoga or fitness class
- Relax with a motivational book you have been wanting to read
- Reward yourself with your favorite dessert
- Attend a 12-step meeting to share your victory with those who understand how important it is
Celebrate with Friends and Family
Celebrating a sober milestone can include those who encourage your recovery. Some ways to celebrate together are:
- Meet for a cup of coffee at a local café or coffee shop
- Go on a special trip that you have been wanting to take
- Enjoy a fancy dinner out to your favorite restaurant
- Volunteer at a local community organization and give back to those who need it most
- Attend a sporting event, such as a local baseball game
Sober Milestone Gift Ideas
Are you looking for a special gift for someone who is celebrating a sober milestone? There are personalized gifts to give that can fit into any budget. Showing someone you care and understand that staying sober is a big accomplishment can encourage them to stay on their journey. Some gifts to give to celebrate a sober milestone include:
- A handwritten card or note explaining how proud you are of their sobriety
- Keychain engraved with the date of their sobriety
Special piece of jewelry such as a necklace or ring
- Cake with the number of candles to reflect the amount of time sober
- Journal for them to use to write about their thoughts and accomplishments
- Make a charitable donation in their honor
We are Here to Help
If you or a loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder, contact the supportive staff at Twin Lakes Recovery Center for help. We are a leading Monroe, Georgia, treatment center and offer a variety of treatments and programs for people of all ages including a residential program, detox services, and a family recovery program. We also have continuing care to help those stay connected after finishing treatment so they can find support for any challenges they may face while transitioning back to their normal life. To find out more about what programs and services are available at Twin Lakes Recovery Center, fill out our contact form online today.